Monday, January 23, 2012

New Directions

What are some blogs I really liked. Why?

www.wired.com/blogs
Tech-geek magazine Wired has been a mainstay at my house since before I can remember. The blogs hosted by the magazine's website provides a variety of focused science and technology-based perspectives, ranging anywhere from videogames to DNA sequencing. Underwire, especially, deserves a nod.
www.millarworld.tv/blog.html
Mark Millar, writer of such cult graphic novels as "Wanted" and "Kick-Ass," both of which are now major motion pictures, proves to be just as witty on a day-to-day basis as he is in his major works. Though powered by Twitter, Millar's blog provides an interesting insight both into his own works and the comic industry at large.
www.twitter.com
I feel like I can't go without mentioning Twitter, itself, in thinking about blogs I like, even if it is not explicitly a blog or even a blogging site. While the social aspect of the service places greater emphasis on trends over the content of a site such as Blogger, the immediacy of Twitter makes for nearly instant communication with far superior accessibility, both for better and for worse.

What features made a blog easy to follow? Off-putting? What features encouraged reader participation?

Simple, unified color schemes and themes certainly made a blog more accessible, while complex and busy designs did exactly the opposite. Simple fonts are also a must - cursive or scripted fonts can be exceptionally difficult to follow, and even more difficult to read!

Do good blogs need to have a tight focus or not?

While a tight focus doesn't necessarily make a good blog, it certainly can be an attractive feature. Some focus is necessary, I think, whether it be a specific angle applied to a variety of topics, or a specific topic explored by a variety of perspectives.

Is there a particular angle you want your blog to have? (We’ll be writing about a lot of things, but you can still emphasize an area of interest).

I think a good blogger stays true to who he/she is. I'm a geek at heart, and I'd be misleading you, as my reader, if I ever suggested otherwise. It's all about the story, at the end f the day, and I hope that I can bring the things I love into everything I do.

Based on your investigation, what are some key qualities and features that you want to bring into your blog?

Personality is the most important aspect of the blog. Be it writing style or voice, the power of the blog is more in the presentation than in the content. If it doesn't feel authentic, it probably isn't! My blog is an honest reflection of me - a student who strives to be a Doctor.

1 comment:

  1. Nice, including the point "I think a good blogger stays true to who he/she is." You've suggested a personality with the blog's title, graphics, etc., that's distinctive.

    ReplyDelete