Monday, January 30, 2012

Three Things That Stopped Me in My Tracks

1/26 - The bass player in my band tells the band that he submitted our music to the Space in Hamden, and the frontman and guitar player in the band tells us that the guys over at Toad's Place want us to play on February 16th. I am excited, to be sure, but I'm just as sure it hasn't really hit me yet.

1/28 - I call my dad in order to catch up. He tells me that he and my mother been talking to my sister about moving into a condo in Berlin, Connecticut. Both he and my mom are very excited about the idea. I'm certainly not opposed to it, by any means, but it feels strange to think about moving.

1/29 - My mother texts me that, while my great-grandmother has been brought to the hospital with yet another GI bleed, I shouldn't worry. Naturally, I worry, but I try not to. Thankfully, she seems to be doing better already. I swear, the woman's healthier than I'll ever be, hospital or not.

In each of these things, it seems to me that the connecting fabric - if there is any - is a feeling of disconnect and disbelief. I never dreamed that I could actually play Toad's, even though I've always wanted to. I never dreamed that my parents could actually move out of our house, even though it's not the first time we've discussed it. I never dreamed that my great-grandmother could actually die, even though she's outlived nearly all of her family. Does all of it make sense? Could all of it actually happen? Yeah, I suppose it could. Hell, I know it could. It still feels strange, is all. Sometimes I forget the world turns.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a lot is going on Trevor!

    I wouldn't imagine my parents moving away from the east coast of the US, let alone to another country.

    That's awesome about the band, well deserved!

    And good to hear about your great-grandmother. I have a similar situation with my grandmother in that she's in her mid-80s yet she seems like the strongest and hardworking person in my family! haha

    ReplyDelete